Proteus the 2nd, alias Metamorphosis ad libitum, or, An old friend with a new face [graphic] : "one man, in his time, plays many parts".
- Additional Title(s):
Proteus the 2nd, alias Metamorphosis ad libitum
Old friend with a new face
- London : Published May 1st, 1822 by G. Humphrey, 27, St. James's Street, 1822.
- Physical Description:
- 13 pictures on 4 joined sheets : hand-colored etchings ; sheets end-to-end 25 x 195 cm, accordion folded to 25 x 16 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR2598.M38 C78 1822Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Consists of an engraved, illustrated title page and 12 etchings by Robert Cruikshank.
The etchings are portraits of Charles Mathews in the different characters played by him in his entertainment "At home" (5th series, 1822), with several lines of dialogue engraved beneath.
BAC: British Art Center copy with original printed yellow paper wrappers bound in. Bound in late gilt-tooled green morocco, by F. Bedford.
- Subject Terms:
- Actors -- England -- Portraits.Bedford, F. -- Bookbinder.Costume -- Great Britain -- 19th century.English wit and humor -- Pictorial works.Humphey, G., publisher.Mathews, Charles, 1776-1835 -- Portraits.Theater -- England -- London -- History -- 19th century.
- Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1822.
Accordion fold format (Binding)
Costumes -- England -- 19th century.
YCBA Collections Search
Cruikshank, Robert, 1789-1856, Proteus the 2nd, alias Metamorphosis ad libitum, or, An old friend with a new face, 1822
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.