Militarie instructions for the cavallrie: or Rules and directions for the service of horse : collected out of divers forrain authors, ancient and modern, and rectified and supplied according to the present practice of the Lowe-Countrey warres.
- Additional Title(s):
Militarie instructions for the cavallrie
Rules and directions for the service of the horse
- [Cambridge] : Printed by the printers to the Universitie of Cambridge, MDCXXXII 
- Physical Description:
- , 108 p., 16 leaves of plates (7 folded) : ill. ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsUE144 .C78 1632+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "The most renowned of early English works on cavalry."--Cf. Cockle.
Dedication signed: I.C. [i.e. John Cruso].
Authorship attributed to John Cruso, "a Fellow of Caius Coll. Camb. from 1639 to 1644, when he was ejected by the Parliamentarians, and afterwards Chancellor of the Diocese of St. David's. He was both a writer and translator of military books ... all printed at Cambridge"--Cf. Cockle.
With an added engraved title page, signed "C. V. Dalen. sculpsit", with imprint "Printed by the printers to the Vniversity of Cambridge: and are to besold [sic] by Ni: Alsope at the Angell in Popes Head Alley" in cartouche at foot. Variant: engraved title page lacks imprint and engraver's signature.".
Printed by Thomas Buck and Roger Daniel. Cf. STC.
Signatures: pi1 A-O⁴ P².
In this edition (STC 6099) line 10 of title begins "forrain". Another edition, partly in the same setting, has line 10 of title beginning "forreigne".
STC (2nd ed.), 6099
Cockle, M.J.D. Military books, 124
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in full calf, rebacked. Bookplate: Wm. Granville Eliot, Esq. Inscribed: J.G. Harkness. A.E.H. Harkness.
- Subject Terms:
- Alsope, Nalsome -- Bookseller.Cavalry drill and tactics -- Early works to 1800.Eliot, Wm. Granville -- Bookplate.Harkness, A. E. H. -- Autograph.Harkness, J. G. -- Autograph.Marching -- Early works to 1800.Military art and science -- Early works to 1800.Recruiting and enlistment -- Early works to 1800.University of Cambridge -- Publisher.
- Wood engravings -- 1632.
Engravings -- 1632.
- Pt. I. Of levying of men. Of souldiers in generall. Of souldiers in particular
- Pt. II. Of marching
- Pt. III. Of encamping
- Part IIII [sic]. Of embattelling.