Constantinople ancient and modern : with excursions to the shores and islands of the Archipelago and to the Troad / by James Dallaway, M.B. F.S.A. late chaplain and physician of the British Embassy to the Porte.
- London : Printed by T. Bensley, for T. Cadell, Junr. & W. Davies, in the Strand, 1797.
- Physical Description:
- , xi, , 415,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill., map ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDR720 .D35 1797+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDR710 .D35 1797+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title page engraved, with aquatint vignette.
"The aquatint engravings which are added in embellishment of the following pages are taken from drawings on the spot by Mr. Gaetano Mercati ..."--P. [xii].
Engravings by Joseph Constantine Stadler.
English short title catalogue, T195396
Early printed books 1478-1840, 776
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Errata: p. [xii].
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 392
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bookplate: John Temple. Bound in gilt-stamped calf with marbled edges.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 is the author's copy, in 2 volumes. Extra-illustrated with 27 engraved plates, 11 original watercolors (of which 6 were engraved for the book), and 2 partly colored maps. Manuscript material tipped in: ALS to James Dalloway from John Brand, March 19, 1802; ALS Robert Liston, Sept 1, 1794; passport form for John Stuart, Marquis of Bute, in French; ALS John Stuart, Marquess of Bute, July 30, 1796. Inscribed: From library of Rev. James Fleming the author, July 1928 (Hodgson & Co. Chancery Lane). Lindsay Fleming, Aldwick Grange, Bognor, Sussex. With the bookplate of Lindsay Fleming. Has bound with it: Itinerary from London to Constantinople in sixty days in the year 1794. London, 1805?
- Subject Terms:
- Aegean Islands (Greece and Turkey) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Bensley, T. -- Printer.Brand, John -- ALS to James Dallaway, March 19, 1802. (BAC,RB copy 2)Bute, John Stuart, 1st Marquess of, 1744-1814 -- ALS July 30, 1796. (BAC,RB copy 2).Clarke, Edward, Rev. (BAC,RB copy 2)Dallaway, James -- ALS from John Brand, March 19, 1802. (BAC,RB copy 2)Dallaway, James -- ALS, July 30, 1796. (BAC,RB copy 2)Dalloway, James -- Provenance. (BAC,RB copy 2)Fleming, Lindsay -- Provenance. (BAC,RB copy 2)Istanbul (Turkey) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Liston, Robert -- ALS Sept. 1, 1794. (BAC,RB copy 2)Otter, W., Rev. (BAC,RB copy 2)T. Cadell Junr. & W. Davies -- Publisher.Temple, John -- Bookplate. (BAC,RB copy 1)Turkey -- Antiquities -- Early works to 1800.Turkey -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
- Aquatints -- 1797.
Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1797.
YCBA Collections Search
Dallaway, James, 1763-1834, Constantinople ancient and modern , 1797
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.