Observations on English architecture, military, ecclesiastical, and civil, compared with similar buildings on the continent : including a critical itinerary of Oxford and Cambridge : also historical notices of stained glass, ornamental gardening, &c. : with chronological tables and dimensions of cathedral and conventual churches / by the Rev. James Dallaway, M.B. F.S.A.
- London : Printed for J. Taylor, at the Architectural Library, 59, High Holborn, 1806.
- Physical Description:
- , xii, 318, ,  p. ; 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA961 .D34 1806Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Printed by S. Gosnell, Little Queen Street.
With a preliminary half-title leaf.
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 777
Includes bibliographical references and index.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the author's copy. Includes bout 200 leaves of manuscript annotations and corrections bound in and extensive annotations in the margins. The author's annotations, including an alteration of the title to "Observations on Architecture in England", appear to be for use in the author's revision to the present work, published as: A series of discourses upon architecture in England from the Norman æra to the close of the reign of Queen Elizabeth. (London: John Williams, 1833). For a record of the manuscript material, search the Yale catalog for: Observations on architecture in England.
BAC: Illuminated letter "D", perhaps depicting ownership by Dallaway, on verso of half-title. Lacks p. v- vi wanting. Bookplate: From ... the library of Lindsay Fleming Aldwick Grange Bognor Regis ... Sussex.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Designs and plans.Architecture -- England -- CambridgeArchitecture -- England -- OxfordArchitecture -- Great Britain.Cambridge (England) -- Building, structures, etc.Fleming, Lindsay -- Bookplate.Glass painting and staining -- Great Britain.Gosnell -- Printer.Ornamental horticulture -- Great Britain.Oxford (England) -- Building, structures, etc.Taylor, J. -- Publisher.University of Cambridge -- Buildings.University of Oxford -- Buildings.
- Authors' copies.
YCBA Collections Search
Dallaway, James, 1763-1834, Observations on English architecture, military, ecclesiastical, and civil, compared with similar buildings on the continent , 1806
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.