Sketches representing the native tribes, animals, and scenery of southern Africa / from drawings made by the late Mr. Samuel Daniell, engraved by William Daniell.
- Additional Title(s):
Daniell's Sketches of natives, animals & scenery of Southern Africa
Sketches of natives, animals & scenery of Southern Africa
- London : Printed by Richard and Arthur Taylor : Published by William Daniell and William Wood, 1820.
- Physical Description:
-  p., 48 leaves,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 35 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDT827 .D36 1820+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 326
BEIN 1973 +127: Provenance: This copy is autographed by J. E. Moxon.
Cover title, on publisher's label printed in gilt: Daniell's Sketches of natives, animals & scenery of Southern Africa. Forty-eight plates. Price three guineas.
Each plate accompanied by a leaf with descriptive text, by William Somerville and Sir John Barrow.
BAC: British Art Center is the Abbey copy. Bound in green embossed leaf-patterned paper-covered boards, roan spine; with publisher's cover label. Bookplate: Henry B. Marshall. Lacks half-title and dedication (see Abbey). Plates printed on plain paper.
- Subject Terms:
- Africa, Southern -- Description and travel.Marshall, Henry B. -- Bookplate.Moxon, J. E. -- Autograph.Natural history -- Africa, Southern.South Africa -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Wood, William -- Publisher.
- Soft-ground etchings -- 1820.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Daniell, Samuel, 1775-1811, Sketches representing the native tribes, animals, and scenery of southern Africa , 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.