Oriental scenery : part first [-fifth] containing twenty-four views of the architecture, antiquities, and landscape scenery of Hindoostan / by Messrs. Thomas and William Daniell, reduced from their folio edition of the same work, and carefully copied under their direction.
- Additional Title(s):
Hindoo excavations in the mountain of Ellora near Aurungabad in the Decan in twenty-four views
- London : Printed for Thomas and William Daniell, at the Free-school Press, Gower's Walk, Whitechapel, and published by William Daniell, No. 9, Cleveland Street, Fitzroy Square, and Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, Paternoster Row, 1812-1816.
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes : illustrations ; 25 cm x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2022 60Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Part 6: Hindoo excavations in the mountain of Ellora near Aurungabad in the Decan in twenty-four views, from the drawings of James Wales, under the direction of Thomas Daniell, London, 1816.
Originally published in 6 parts. Each part has its own additional engraved title page.
"The twenty-four Views here published, form the first series of the original work; the remaining portions, it is intended, shall follow in the same succession as they appeared in that edition; and when completed, will be comprised in three volumes, containing in the whole 150 prints."--Part 1.
Daniell's work originally published in 5 parts, 1795-1815. Wales's work originally published in 2 volumes, 1803-04, and a one-volume edition in 1816. For additional edition information, see Abbey.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 432
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 805
BAC Folio A 2022 60: The Abbey copy. Plates are not colored. Bound in original brown boards, except part four which has green boards.
- Subject Terms:
- India -- Antiquities.India -- Pictorial works.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.