Views of the seats of the noblemen and gentlemen in the county of Suffolk / by Henry Davy, author of The architectural antiquities of Suffolk.
- Southwold, Suffolk : [H. Davy], [1824-1826?]
- Physical Description:
- 4 parts (21 p., 20 leaves of plates) : chiefly ill. ; 35 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA7621.S84 D38 1824+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title from wrappers to the parts.
Engravings by J. Lambert (i.e. J.F. Lambert?); after Henry Davy.
"This work will be published in twenty numbers, each containing six highly finished engravings, and about ten pages of letter press ..."--Cover, no. 2.
"The continued illness of Mr. Lambert, Jun., one of the artists employed in the work, obliges the author to publish no. 2 with five plates only, seven plates will be given in no. 3."--Slip tipped in at front of no. 2.
"Views of the seats of noblemen and gentlemen in Suffolk (1826) was abandoned after only twenty-two houses had been engraved by Lambert after Davy ..."--DNB.
"List of subscribers" on back covers.
BAC: British Art Center copy incomplete: lacks nos. 3 and 4. Numbers 1 and 2 bound in original printed paper wrappers. Autograph on no 2: Rev. George Turner.
BM (compact ed.), v. 6, p. 1120
Eng. cat. of books, Prel. vol., p. 155
Andersen, J.P. Book of British topography, p. 263
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- England -- Suffolk.Country homes -- England -- Suffolk.Davy, H. -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1824.Suffolk (England) -- Antiquities.Turner, George, Rev. -- Autograph.
- Subscribers' lists.
- Henham Hall
- Cockfield Hall
- Worlingham Hall
- Fornham Hall
- Great Finborough Hall
- Gipping Hall
- Hawleigh Park
- Benacre Hall
- Henstead House
- Brampton Hall --Sotterley Hall.