City characters / drawn and etched by Richard Dighton.
- London : Published by Thomas M'Lean, 26, Haymarket, 1824.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : chiefly ill. ; 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process NC1479.D55 C58 1824+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Engraved throughout.
Series of forty colored caricatures of men prominent in the life of the city of London in the early 19th century.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 181
BAC: Includes autograph signatures pasted throughout volume. Other signatures are in an envelope pasted on verso of front cover. Colored cartoon by Dighton "A scene on the Baltic Walk, Royal Exchange in November 1822" pasted on recto of back cover. Most of the characters have been identified by a former owner who wrote the names underneath the plates. They include: Thomas Richardson (1771-1853, partner, Overend Burney & Co.), Lord Dewar, Sir James Shaw (1764-1843, Lord Mayor 1805), Nathan Meyer Rothschild (1777-1836, financier), Messrs. Dobison and Twemlow, George Hibbert (1757-1837, West India merchant and alderman), Samuel M. Samuel, Robert Waithman (1764-1833, Lord Mayor, 1823), Mr. Justice Wood, Mr. Ellice (1781-1863, Hudson's Bay Co.), Gurney. Bound in half-red smooth calf green paper covered boards. Gilt red leather label with title mounted on front cover. Ms inscription on t.p.: J. L. Neall. F. G. Neall.
- Subject Terms:
- Caricatures and cartoons -- Great Britain.English wit and humor, Pictorial.London (England) -- Social life and customs -- Caricatures and cartoons.M'Lean, Thomas -- Publisher.Neall, F. G. -- Autograph.Neall, J. L. -- Autograph.Satire, English.
- Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1824.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.