Eden, Richard, 1521?-1576, The history of trauayle in the VVest and East Indies, and other countreys lying eyther way, towardes the fruitfull and ryche Moluccaes , 1577
- The history of trauayle in the VVest and East Indies, and other countreys lying eyther way, towardes the fruitfull and ryche Moluccaes : As Moscouia, Persia, Arabia, Syria, Ægypte, Ethiopia, Guinea, China in Cathayo, and Giapan : vvith a discourse of the Northwest passage / Gathered in parte, and done into Englyshe by Richarde Eden. Newly set in order, augmented, and finished by Richarde VVilles.
- Alternate Title(s):
- History of travayle in the West and East Indies, and other countreys lying eyther way, towardes the fruitfull and ryche Moluccaes
- Imprinted at London : By Rychard Iugge, 1577.
- Physical Description:
- , 466,  leaves : ill. ; 19 cm (4to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG80 .E34 1577Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database (Eca 555Eb)
- MED,HSL 16th cent: Imperfect: Wanting t.p., supplied in facsimile, and Willes' epistle to Lady Brigit, Countess of Bedford; f. 30-33 torn and repaired, with some loss of text.
BEIN Eca 555Eb: Imperfect: t.p. mutilated and repaired with no loss of text but with partial loss of ms. presentation inscription: Given to the plantation of [blank] by S.G. [blank]. Additional ms. notes and ms. date: May 2, 1609. First and second leaves also repaired but with no loss of text.
BEIN Taylor 142: Bookplate of Charles Bruce, Earl of Ailesbury.
BAC: Copy in a gilt-tooled stiffened parchment binding with yap edges; evidence of ties at fore-edges of boards; ms waste with red and blue illumination used as pastedowns; text block edges sprinkled red.
BAC: Copy has armorial bookplate of Joseph Pickford Esqr. on inside of upper board.
BAC: Copy has bookplate of Thomas Percival Esquire on verso of first free end-paper.
Eden's "Decades of the newe worlde," 1555, (ascribed to Pietro Martire) rearranged, some parts omitted, and a number of translations added. Described by ESTC as "A translation, with some omissions, of decades 1-3 of "De orbe novo" by Pietro Martire d'Anghiera; with additions from numerous other sources edited by Eden and Willes".
Numerous errors in foliation.
Signatures: (.)⁴ [fleuron]⁶ A-B⁴ C-3O⁸.
With six final errata and contents leaves.
Printed chiefly in black letter type.
Woodcut diagrams and historiated and floriated initials within text throughout.
STC (2nd ed.), 649
Church, E.D. Discovery, no. 119
- Subject Terms:
- Ailesbury, Charles Bruce, Earl of, 1682-1747 -- Bookplate (BEIN)America -- Discovery and exploration -- Early works to 1800.America -- Early accounts to 1600.China -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Frobisher, Martin, Sir, approximately 1535-1594.Guinea -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Indians -- Early works to 1800.Iran -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Japan -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Jenkinson, Anthony, d. 1611.Percival, Thomas -- Bookplate (BAC RB)Pickford, Joseph -- Bookplate (BAC RB)Russia -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Scandinavia -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Voyages and travels -- Early works to 1800.Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1577 (BAC RB)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.