D'Oyly, Charles, 1781-1845, Behar amateur lithographic scrap book, [1830?]
Behar amateur lithographic scrap book.
- Additional Title(s):
Behar amateur lithographic scrapbook
- [Patna, India] : Behar Lithographic Press, [1830?]
- Physical Description:
-  pages : 57 lithographs ; 26 x 41 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2022 73Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Description based on a copy at the Yale Center for British Art. It is unclear whether the present set of 57 lithographs was issued by the publisher as a set or whether the set is a unique assemblage. Some of the lithographs are the same as those issued in the Behar amateur lithographic scrap book in 1828 (described in Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, entry 449).
Lithographs after Charles D'Oyly, Elizabeth Jane D'Oyly, and George Chinnery.
BAC Folio A 2022 73: Bound in contemporary half morocco and red cloth. With notes in manuscript at front: "This volume of lithographic sketches in India, by Sir Charles D'Olyl, Bart., was left by Colonel Burney, in his will, to Ellen Burney, 19 Elm Park Gardens, London, S.W."; "Presented by Ms. Burney in 1908 to H. D'Oyly Moule." Has bound with it: an albumen print, 20 x 25 cm, of an unidentified sarcophagus with studio backdrop, mounted to a leaf bearing the blind stamp of "A. [Alphonse] Bernoud ... Naples, Florence, Livourne" -- D'Oyly, Charles. Indian sports, -, 2 volumes -- Smith, Christopher Webb. Oriental ornithology, 1829 -- Smith, Christopher Webb. Indian dead game, 1830.
Consists of 57 lithographs of varying size, mounted on 54 blank pages, from the Behar Lithographic Press, established by Sir Charles D'Oyly in Patna, Bihar, India, in 1828. The lithographs include portraits, animals, landscapes, and village life. A handful are dated, between 1828 and 1830. The first and last lithographs bear the title of the work.
- Subject Terms:
- Bengal (India) -- Pictorial works.Bihar (India) -- Pictorial works.Burney, Ellen, -- Ownership.Costume -- India -- Pictorial works.India -- Description and travel -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.Landscapes -- India -- Bengal.Moule, Horace D'Oyly, 1843-1925 -- Ownership.Natural history -- India -- Pictorial works.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.