Dryden, John, 1631-1700, The fables of John Dryden , 1797
- The fables of John Dryden : ornamented with engravings from the pencil of the Right Hon. Lady Diana Beauclerc.
- London : Printed by T. Bensley, for J. Edwards, no. 77, and E. Harding, no. 98, Pall Mall, 1797.
- Physical Description:
- , xviii, 241,  p. : ill. ; 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPT1829.L4 E57 1809+ Copy 3 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 57 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 57 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by Francesco Bartolozzi, Thomas Cheesman, Ignatius Joseph van den Berghe, and William Nelson Gardiner; after Lady Diana Beauclerc.
Grässe, II, 438
Brunet, II, 845
ESTC (RLIN), T128162
Abbey, J.R. Life, 240
BAC: British Art Center has three copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Large paper copy. The plates are partially printed in color (a la poupée); this may be the unique copy printed in color. Bound in gilt-tooled crimson morocco, with gilt edges and brown watered silk endpapers. Armorial bookplate: Hermann Marx. Initials stamped in gilt on verso pastedowns: MCB. Copy 2 has uncolored plates. Bound in gilt-tooled calf. Copy 3 has uncolored illustrations. Bound with: Leonora. Second edition. London, 1809. Bound in gilt-tooled morocco binding.
- Preface -- Palamon and Arcite, or, The Knight's tale [from Chaucer] -- Sigismonda and Guiscardo, from Boccace -- The cock and the fox, or, The tale of the Nun's Priest, from Chaucer -- Theodore and Honoria, from Boccace -- The flower and the leaf, or, The lady in the arbour -- The Wife of Bath's tale [from Chaucer] -- Cymon and Iphigenia, from Boccace.
- Subject Terms:
- Bensley, T. -- Printer.Edwards, J. -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1797.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1797.Harding, E. -- Publisher.Marx, Hermann -- Bookplate.MCB -- Provenance.Stipple engraving -- Specimens -- 1797.Stipple engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1797.
- Aquatints -- 1797
A la poupée prints -- England -- London -- 1797.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.