Rouge et noir : the academicians of 1823, or, The Greeks of the Palais Royal, and the clubs of St. James's : dedicated (sans permission) to His ____ the Duke of ______, and ____Bishop of _______, commander in _______, &c. &c. &c. / by Charles Persius, Esq. ; Garde Nationale de Paris, auteur des Réflexions sur l'homme, d'un Essai sur la folie, des observations sur les femmes du xix siècle, et d'un critique sur les Mémoires de Mrs. Dyott, one of the Graces of Grosvenor Square.
- Additional Title(s):
Academicians of 1823
Greeks of the Palais Royal and the clubs of St. James's
- London : Published by Lawler and Quick , 9, Old Broad Street, and Stephen Couchman, 10, Throg-Morton Street, 1823.
- Physical Description:
- 456,  p.,  leaf of plates : ill. ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsHV6710 .D86 1823Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title page is probably a cancel.
Chapter 8 (p. 311-438) wanting, probably suppressed.
With half-title leaf which reads: The academicians of 1823; or, The Greeks of the Palais Royal, and the club of St. James's.
With a final leaf of bookseller's advertisements.
The frontispiece in colored etching.
"To the reader"--Verso of t.p.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in red paper covers. Paper label on spine reads: Rouge et Noir. The academician of 1823; or the Greeks of the Palais Royal and the clubs of St. James's by Charles Persius, Esq. Price 8s. bds.
- Subject Terms:
- Couchman, Stephen -- Publisher.Etching, Colored -- Specimens -- 1823.Gambling.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Lawler and Quick -- Publisher.Quacks and quackery.Satire, English -- 19th century.
- Booksellers' advertisements.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.