A new book of Chinese designs, calculated to improve the present taste : consisting of figures, buildings, & furniture, landskips, birds, beasts, flow.rs and ornaments, &c. / by Mess.rs Edwards, and Darly.
- Additional Title(s):
- [London] : Published according to Act of Parliament, & sold by the authors, the first house on the right in Northumberland-Court, in the Strand, & by the print & booksellers in town & country, MDCCLIV 
- Physical Description:
-  p., 120 leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA3310 .D37 1754+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Engraved throughout. The first  p. consist of engraved t.p. and index.
Illustrations by and after Edwards and Darly.
"In 1759, many of his [Darly] chinoiserie designs reappeared with landscape backgrounds added in a book entitled 'Chinese architecture', by an unknown author, P. Decker. Others, meanwhile were printed in 'The ladies amusement, or, Whole art of Japanning made easy' (c. 1760). Likewise his 'antique' orders and ornaments were reissued in 1773 as 'A compleat body of architecture'"--Cf. Harris
Index of plates: p. .
Harris identifies Edwards as George Edwards.
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 1556-1785. Cambridge [England] : Cambridge University Press, 1990, 187
British Architectural Library. Early Imprints Collection. Early printed books, 1478-1840. London : Bowker-Saur,1994-, p. 1725
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Details -- Early works to 1800.Darley -- Publisher.Decoration and ornament -- Chinese influences -- Early works to 1800.Decoration and ornament, Architectural -- Early works to 1800.Edwards -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1754.
YCBA Collections Search
Darly, Matthias, A new book of Chinese designs, calculated to improve the present taste , MDCCLIV 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.