Real life in Ireland, or, The day and night scenes, rovings, rambles, and sprees, bulls, blunders, bodderation and blarney of Brian Boru and his elegant friend Sir Shawn O'Dogherty : exhibiting a real picture of characters, manners, &c. in high and low life in Dublin and various parts of Ireland : embellished with humorous coloured engravings, from original designs by the most eminent artists / by a real Paddy.
- Additional Title(s):
Real life in Ireland
Day and night scenes, rovings, rambles, and sprees, bulls, blunders, bodderation and blarney of Brian Boru and his elegant friend Sir Shawn O'Dogherty
Life in Ireland
- London : Printed by B. Bensley, Bolt Court, Fleet Street. Published by Jones & Co., 3, Warwick Square; and J. L. Marks, Piccadilly; and sold by all booksellers and newsmen, in town and country, 1821.
- Physical Description:
- 18 pt. (vii, , 296 p.,  leaves of plates) : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA975 .R43 1821Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Abbey attributes this to Pierce Egan.
Illustrations by Henry Thomas Alken, William Heath, and (possibly) Charles Williams. Cf. Abbey.
At head of cover title: A sequel to Life in London. Entered at Stationers' Hall. An original work. Each number embellished with a coloured plate. Price 6d.
Also at top of front wrapper: Life in Ireland. To be completed in about twenty-four weekly numbers, Price 6d. or six parts, 2s. each, (and on royal papers, in parts, 3s. each,) illustrated with a series of twenty-four humorous coloured plates, from original designs, by Cruikshanks, Atken, Rowlandson, and other first-rate artists.
Completed in 18 parts. Pagination continuous.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 201
Publisher's advertisements on back wrapper of all 18 pts.
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 282
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. In original parts.
- Subject Terms:
- Bensley, B. -- Printer.Caricatures and cartoons -- Ireland.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1821.Ireland -- Description and travel.Ireland -- Social life and customs.Jones & Co. -- Publisher.Marks, J. L. -- Publisher.Satire, Irish.Wit and humor.
YCBA Collections Search
Real life in Ireland, or, The day and night scenes, rovings, rambles, and sprees, bulls, blunders, bodderation and blarney of Brian Boru and his elegant friend Sir Shawn O'Dogherty , 1821
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.