Real life in London, or, The rambles and adventures of Bob Tallyho, Esq. and his cousin, The Hon. Tom Dashall, through the metropolis : exhibiting a living picture of fashionable characters, manners, and amusements in high and low life / by an amateur ; embellished and illustrated with a series of coloured prints, designed and engraved by Messrs. Alken, Dighton, Brooke, Rowlandson &c.
- Additional Title(s):
Real life in London
Rambles and adventures of Bob Tallyho, Esq. and his cousin, The Hon. Tom Dashall, through the metropolis
- London : Printed for Jones and Co., 3, Warwick Square. 1821-1822.
- Physical Description:
- 56 pt. in 33 pt.. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA688 .R43 1821Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Ascribed to Pierce Egan, author of "Life in London, 1821-22"; but according to the Camb. Hist. of Eng. Literature it "is a pleasanter book than its prototype ... the author had a purer style, a cleaner mind and a wider knowledge of London than Egan." Cf. Vol. XIV, p. 248.
Many plates unsigned. Of those signed, engravings by H. Alken, W. Read, J.L. Marks, after illustrations by H. Alken, J.L. Marks.
Various parts printed by B. Bensley, while other parts printed by A. Applegarth.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. 56 parts in 33 publisher's printed wrappers, nos. 11-56 being double numbers.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 280
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1973 ed.) 198
- Subject Terms:
- Applegarth, A. -- Printer.Bensley, B. -- Printer.Etching -- Specimens -- 1821-1822.Jones and Co. -- Publisher.London (England) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
- Aquatints -- 1821-1822.
YCBA Collections Search
Real life in London, or, The rambles and adventures of Bob Tallyho, Esq. and his cousin, The Hon. Tom Dashall, through the metropolis , 1821-1822
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.