Elsam, Richard, Esq, An essay on rural architecture , MDCCCIII 
- An essay on rural architecture : illustrated with original and oeconomical designs : being an attempt, also, to refute, by analogy, the principles of Mr. James Malton's essay "British cottage architecture," supported by several designs : to which are added rural retreats and villas, in the Gothic, castle, Roman and Grecian styles of architecture : with ideas for park-entrances, a mausoleum, and a design for the naval pillar, to immortalize British naval heroism : the whole comprising thirty plates, in aquatinta / designed by Richard Elsam, architect.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Elsam on rural architecture
On rural architecture
- London : Printed by the Philanthropic Society, St. George's-Fields; and published for the author, by E. Lawrence, 378, Strand; and to be had at Taylor's Architectural Library, Holborn; at Edgerton's Military Library, Whitehall; Hookham and Carpenter's, Bond-Street; Evans's, Pall-Mall; J. Asperne's, Cornhill; Palser's, Surry-side Westminster-Bridge; and of the author, 21, Church-Row, Newington-Butts, MDCCCIII 
- Physical Description:
- , ii, 52 p., 33 [i.e. 31] leaves of plates [2 folded] : ill. ; 36 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA7562 .E57 1803+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Written as a riposte to James Malton's 'An essay on British cottage architecture' (1798). Cf. British Architectural Library.
Cover title, on printed label: Elsam on rural Architecture. 1803. Price, to non-subscribers, 2l. 2s. 0d.
Engravings by William Pickett, Christian Rosenberg, Thomas Hall, and Porter; after Richard Elsam.
Total of 31 plates numbered: 1-9, 12, 11-20, 27, 22-28, [29-30], 33.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 14
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 980
Archer, J. British domestic architecture, 69.1
Includes list of subscribers.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in original boards. Armorial bookplate: Hugh Cecil Earl of Lonsdale.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Designs and plans.Architecture, Domestic -- Great Britain.Asperne, J. -- Publisher.Building -- Great Britain.Cottages -- Great Britain.Country homes -- Great Britain.Egerton's Military Library -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1803.Evans's -- Publisher.Hookham and Carpenters -- Publisher.Lawrence, E. -- Publisher.Lonsdale, Hugh Cecil Lowther, Earl of, 1857-1944 -- Bookplate.Malton, James, -1803.Palser's -- Publisher.Philanthropic Society -- Printer.Taylor's Architectural Library -- Publisher.
- Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
Aquatints -- 1803.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.