Cha cha cha / Stephen Willats.
- London : Coracle/Lisson, 1982.
- Physical Description:
-  p. : ill. ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.W56 C43 1982Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "The initial body of this work was presented in the Lisson Gallery exhibition of 1982, Inside the Night. 'This work concerned one manifestation of those private clubs: an extreme rejection of society's values, an alienation from its idealisations, that found expression in non-conformity and through the display of aggressively tangential codes of dress and behaviour.' ... Each thick page spread gives the left hand, white side of the book as the normal and boring world of the day and the right hand, black side of the book as the freer night world and focuses on the thoughts and lives of the two people who organised the Cha Cha Club--Michael and Scarlett. Michael and Scarlett worked with Willats on the book through interviews and photographs of objects from their daytime surroundings and of people in the club. Quotes from the interviews are on each page alongside photographs of objects from their daytime lives and of people who went to the club."--Artist's website.
Produced at the same time as the exhibition 'Inside the Night' at the Lisson Gallery, which presented four works made by 'members' of four clubs: the Cha Cha Club, the Anarchy Centre, Model Dwellings and a futurist women's club.
Bury, S. Artists' books 1963-1995, p. 132
Work & Turn, #23.1, p. 38
The Coracle : Coracle Press Gallery 1975-1987, p. 125
BAC: British Art Center copy in publisher's original illustrated black boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Coracle Press -- Publisher.Lisson Gallery (London, England) -- Publisher.London (England) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century.Photography, Artistic.
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.