Excursions daguerriennes : vues et monuments les plus remarquables du globe.
- A Paris : Chez Rittner et Goupil : 1841-1842.
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations ; 28 x 38 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2021 11Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Text by Paul de La Garenne, Louis Batissier, Gustave Deville, Frédéric-Auguste-Antoine Goupil, Jules Janin, Edmond Jomard, and others.
Illustrated with  leaves of plates (v. 1:  leaves; v. 2:  leaves), each accompanied by 1-2 leaves of descriptive letterpress.
The plates are aquatints after daguerreotypes by N.-P. Lerebours, Frédéric-Auguste-Antoine Goupil, and Horace Vernet, and consist of views of landscapes and buildings, primarily in Paris, France, and Italy.
Plates  and  of v. 1 and plates  and  of v. 2 were printed directly from the original daguerreotype plates using a process developed by H. Fizeau; see Goldschmidt & Naef.
Originally issued in parts ("livraisons"), each consisting of 4 plates and descriptive text.
Copies are known with up to 114 plates and an added leaf in v. 2 describing Fizeau's process; cf. Goldschmidt & Naef.
Goldschmidt & Naef. Truthful lens, 104
Each of the two volumes includes an index of plates at end. Volume 2 also includes a "table systématique" (organized geographically) for both volumes.
BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect: lacks title page(s). Comprises 110 plates; volume 2 lacks "Un bas-relief de Notre Dame (gravure Fizeau)" listed in the index. Bound in contemporary quarter morocco, titled in gilt.
- Subject Terms:
- Daguerreotype.France -- Pictorial works.Italy -- Pictorial works.Paris (France) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Pictorial works.Paris (France) -- Pictorial works.Photography -- France -- Paris.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.