Newton, Richard, 1777-1798, [Illustrations to Tom Jones], Jany. 1, 1799
[Illustrations to Tom Jones]
- London : Pub. by W. Holland, No. 50, Oxford Strt., Jany. 1, 1799.
- Physical Description:
- 20 prints in 1 volume : etching and aquatint ; platemarks 14 x 23 cm, in volume 16 x 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND497.R78 I45 1799Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title and attribution from Abbey.
Imprint from plates.
With designations of volume and page in bottom right corner.
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 241
Alexander, D. Richard Newton and English caricature in the 1790s, 291
Date of publication from plates.
BAC ND497.R78 I45 1799: The Abbey copy. Has bound with: Illustrations by Rowlandson to Smollett's works. London, 1793-1796.
- Subject Terms:
- Fielding, Henry, 1707-1754. History of Tom Jones -- Illustrations.
Satires (visual works)
-  Allworthy discovering the foundling
-  The battle in the church yard
-  Scene after the battle
-  Escape of Molly Seagrim
-  The surgeon going to bleed Sophia
-  Tom Jones discovering Square
-  The battle between Jones, Thwackum, and Blifil
-  Tom Jones and the Centinel
-  Tom Jones assaulted by Ensign Northerton
-  The surgeon giving his opinion of Tom Jones's wound
-  Sophia and Honour arrive at the inn at Upton
-  Western discovering Tom Jones with the muff
-  Sophia's elopement announced to her father
-  Sophia and the landlord
-  Tom Jones discovering Sophia's pocket book
-  Tom Jones and the highwayman
-  Tom Jones concealing Lady Bellaston from Honour
-  Partridge visiting Tom Jones in prison
-  Western, Supple, and the officer with the challenge
-  Western, Tom Jones, and Sophia.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.