Hicklin, John, The "Ladies of Llangollen", as sketched by many hands , 1847
- The "Ladies of Llangollen", as sketched by many hands : with notices of other objects of interest in "that sweetest of vales" / by John Hicklin.
- Chester : Thomas Catherall ; 1847.
London : Whitaker & Co., Ackermann & Co., Strand ; 1847.
Dublin : T. Cranfield, 1847.
- Physical Description:
- 31 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA745.L74 H53 1847+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Lithographd by James Henry Lynch, George Hawkins, and W.L. Walton; after George Pickering, and Edwin W. Jacques. Plates printed by Day & Haghe.
Printed by T. Thomas, Eastgate Row, Chester.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery, 535
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in original printed cream boards, with roan spine.
- Contents of plates: Entrance to Plas Newydd -- The Rt Honble Lady Eleanor Butler & Miss Ponsonby -- Monument to the memory of Lady Eleanor Butler, Miss Ponsonby & Mary Carryl -- Valle Crucis Abbey -- Plas Newydd, near Llangollen -- Reproductions of memorials to Lady Butler and Miss Ponsonby.
- Subject Terms:
- Butler, Eleanor, Lady, 1738 or 9-1829.Catherall, T. -- Publisher.Cottages -- Wales -- Llangollen -- Pictorial works.Great Britain -- Intellectual life -- 18th century.Lesbianism -- Wales.Lesbians -- Wales -- Llangollen -- Biography.Lesbians -- Wales -- Llangollen -- Portraits.Llangollen (Wales) -- Biography.Llangollen (Wales) -- Social life and customs.Ponsonby, Sarah, 1754 or 5-1831.Thomas, T. -- Printer.Valle Crucis Abbey (Wales)Women -- Great Britain -- Social conditions -- 18th century.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1847.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.