The true travels, adventvres, and observations of Captaine Iohn Smith, in Europe, Asia, Affrica, and America, from anno Domini 1593 to 1629 : his accidents and sea-fights in the Straights, his service and strategems of warre in Hungaria, Transilvania, Wallachia, and Moldavia ... : together with a continuation of his Generall history of Virginia, Summer-Iles, New England, and their proceedings, since 1624, to this present 1629, as also of the new plantations of the great river of the Amazons, the iles of St. Christopher, Mevis, and Barbados in the West Indies / all written by actuall authors, whose names you shall finde along the history.
- Additional Title(s):
True travels, adventures, and observations of Captaine Iohn Smith
- London : Printed by J.H. for Thomas Slater, and are to bee sold at the Blew Bible in Greene Arbour, 1630.
- Physical Description:
- , 60 pages,  folded leaf of plates : illustrations ; 28 cm (folio)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsD244.8.S5 A3 1630+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- BEIN Taylor 315: With Smith's arms on t.p. verso and the conventional headpiece on table of contents leaf. With added fold. plate "The Summer Ils" (third state) from the author's The generall historie of Virginia, New-England and the Svmmer Isles (third state). Armorial bookplate: Archibald Philip, Earl of Rosebery. Bookplate: Henry C. Taylor.
BEIN Vanderbilt +145: No. 2 of 2 works bound together with binder's title: History of Virginia/True travels. Bookplate: Brinley [in ms.] 365. With Smith's arms on t.p. verso and the conventional headpiece on table of contents leaf.
BEIN Pequot Sm6: With Smith's arms on t.p. verso and the head-piece of the table of contents representing the four crowns.
Copy of the variation with Smith's arms on verso of t.p., and the conventional headpiece on table of contents leaf.
Printer's and publisher's names from STC.
The plate has imprint: London printed by Iames Reeue.
Stationer's Register: Entered 29 August 1629.
Signatures: A⁶ B-G⁴ H⁶.
ESTC (RLIN) S111906
Church, E.D. Discovery, 417
Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.), entry 22796
BAC: British Art Center copy is the first state throughout (Sabin 82851). With Smith's arms on title page verso and the head-piece of the table of contents representing the four crowns. Bound in full contemporary tan calf; re-backed. Charles I's copy, with his arms stamped in gilt. Armorial bookplate of the Barons Stanley, Earls of Derby.
- Subject Terms:
- Brinley, George, 1817-1875 -- Bookplate.Charles I, King of England, 1600-1649 -- Provenance.Derby, Earl of -- Bookplate.Rosebery, Archibald Philip Primrose, Earl of, 1847-1929 -- Bookplate.Smith, John, 1580-1631.Taylor, Henry C. (Henry Calhoun), 1894-1971 -- Bookplate.Voyages and travels -- Early works to 1800.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Armorial bindings (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Smith, John, 1580-1631, The true travels, adventvres, and observations of Captaine Iohn Smith, in Europe, Asia, Affrica, and America, from anno Domini 1593 to 1629 , 1630
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.