The trial of the Rev. Alexander Fletcher, A.M., before the Lord Chief Justice of the Court of Common Sense, and a special jury / by the Author of The trial of the Rev. Edward Irving, A.M.
- London : Printed for Knight and Lacey, Paternoster-Row, MDCCCXXV 
- Physical Description:
- 8, 111, 24 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsHQ804 .T75 1825Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- A satire on the famous legal trial of the Rev. Alexander Fletcher, Presbyterian divine who was famous for his Sermons to children. Fletcher was tried in civil and ecclesiastical courts for breach of promise to marry Miss Eliza Dick but although no verdict was reached in the civil court, he was indicted in the ecclesiastical court. In this amusing satire the fictitious jury included many well known names.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 296
George, 14823, 14824
Appendix: 24 p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Original boards. Has bound with it: Life and writings of the Rev. Edward Irving / [J.] Fleming. London, 1823.
- Subject Terms:
- Breach of promise -- Caricatures and cartoons.Dick, Eliza.Fletcher, Alexander, 1787-1860.Knight and Lacey -- Publisher.Satire, English.Trials (Breach of promise) -- Caricatures and cartoons.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
YCBA Collections Search
Author of The trial of the Rev. Edward Irving, A.M, The trial of the Rev. Alexander Fletcher, A.M., before the Lord Chief Justice of the Court of Common Sense, and a special jury , MDCCCXXV 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.