The Germ : thoughts towards nature in poetry, literature, and art.
- Former Title(s):
Art and poetry: being thoughts toward nature, Mar.-Apr. 1850
- Additional Title(s):
Germ (London, England)
- London : Aylott & Jones [etc.]
- Physical Description:
- 4 no. in 1 (192 p.) 4 plates (1 double) 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN6767.5.P7 G47Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BEIN Ia105 G317 no. 1 copy 1: Bookplates of Harry Bache Smith and Frederic Robert Halsey.
BEIN Ia105 G317 copy 1: Printed title slips cut down from fly-sheets, provided by the publishers, with title Art and poetry, have been pasted over the original title The Germ on no. 1-2; on no. 4 the month, April, has been supplied by a printed slip, the month as printed having been cut out.
BEIN Ia105 G317 copy 2: Bound in at end are Thomas Woolner's manuscript copy of his "Of My Lady in Death" with manuscript revisions by Dante Gabriel Rossetti; the manuscript of "Amala" is in Woolner's hand; the manuscript of "Michael Angelo" is by Woolner and in his hand; and one leaf with the name of the Rev. W. Elliott on the recto and a note signed C.K.P. (Coventry Patmore) on the verso. Bookplate of H. Harvey Frost. Autograph of Alexander Murno.
Title changed with issue no. 3 to: Art and poetry: being thoughts towards nature.
Edited by William Michael Rossetti as the "literary organ of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood." (See his Preface to facsimile reprint, London: 1901. 48.e.18).
Contributors include Dante Gabriel, Christina and W.M. Rossetti.
With etchings after W. Holman Hunt, James Collinson, Ford Madox Brown and Walter Howell Deverell.
Printed by G.F. Tupper, London. Nos. 3 and 4 published by Dickinson & Co.; Aylott & Jones.
BAC: British Art Center copy in 4 parts, as issued, in publisher's original printed wrappers.
- Subject Terms:
- Aylott & Jones -- Publisher.Dickinson & Co. -- Publisher.English periodicals.Frost, H. Harvey -- Bookplate.Halsey, Frederic Robert -- Bookplate.Munro, Alexander -- Autograph.Pre-Raphaelitism -- England -- Periodicals.Smith, Harry Bache, 1860-1936 -- Bookplate.Tupper, G. F. -- Printer.
- Engravings -- 1850.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.