Six select views in Italy / engraved and coloured from the original designs of R. Freebairn.
- Additional Title(s):
Description of six select views in Italy by R. Freebairn.
- London : Pubd. by R. Freebairn, No. 41, Newman Street, 1802.
[London] : J. Barfield, printer, Wardour-Street, Soho, 
- Physical Description:
- , 6 leaves, 6 leaves of plates : illustrations ; 32 x 51 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 35 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 35 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Make-up of a complete copy surmised from two incomplete copies at the Yale Center for British Art. The Abbey copy (Travel 163) includes a leaf of descriptive letterpress facing each view. On the recto of the first of these leaves is printed: "Description of six select views in Italy by R. Freebairn." The second copy lacks all letterpress leaves, but includes a letterpress title page (the bottom of which names all six views), with the printer's statement at foot. It appears likely that this leaf is the intended title page for the publication.
Aquatints by I. Hill; after Robert Freebairn.
Each view is accompanied by a leaf of descriptive letterpress.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 163
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Lacks the title page (with Freebairn's imprint). In contemporary green wrappers, with marbled paper spine.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 lacks title page and pages of descriptive letterpress accompanying each plate. Letterpress description of each plate on one leaf bound in at front with caption title: Six select views in Italy / engraved and coloured from the original designs of R. Freebairn.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Italy.Landscapes -- Italy -- Pictorial works.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1802.
- Dometians villa
- An Italian villa
- View of the Tiber
- View in Rome
- Villa in Florence
- Maecenas villa.