The topography of Troy and its vicinity : illustrated and explained by drawings and descriptions / dedicated, by permission, to her Grace the Duchess of Devonshire, by W. Gell, esq. of Jesus College, M.A., F.A.S. and late fellow of Emmanuel College, Cambridge.
- London : Printed by C. Whittingham, Dean Street, for T.N. Longman and O. Rees, Paternoster-row, 1804.
- Physical Description:
- ,124 pages, XXVII, 28, XXIX-XLV [i.e. 30] leaves of plates (3 folded) : illustrations, maps ; 42 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2022 52Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Engravings by Thomas Medland, after William Gell.
"Published at £10. 10s."--Abbey.
"There is an uncolored aquatint at the top of page 106 and there are coloured etchings on the title-page and at the head of pages 21, 31, 35, 62, 64, 69, 70, 72, 91, 102, and 104. Although the figures are not actually engraved on these etchings they fill the gaps in the engraved numbers given."--Abbey.
Plates I-II, IV-VI, X-XI, XIII, XV, XVII-XVIII are etchings, the remainder aquatints.
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, pages 232, 337
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 399
BAC Folio A 2022 52: The Abbey copy. Plates are hand-colored. Bound in quarter red morocco with gilt edges. Bookplate: Christopher Turnor Stoke Rochford Library.
- Subject Terms:
- Troy (Extinct city) -- Pictorial works.Turkey -- Pictorial works.Turnor, Christopher Hatton, 1873-1940 -- Bookplate.
- Plates: I-II. [Three strip views]
- IV-V. [Three strip views]
- VI. [Three strip views]
- VII. View from the eastern side of Alexandria Troas
- VIII. View near Ghicli
- IX. View near Ghicle
- X. [Three strip views]
- XI. [Two strip views]
- XIII. [Two strip views]
- XV. [Two strip views]
- XVI. View from a burial ground of the Bridge of Simois and Scamander
- XVII. [Strip view]
- XVIII. [Strip view]
- XIX. View of the plain of Troy from the Tomb of Antilochus
- XXII. View from the Tomb of Achilles
- XXVI. Warm source of the Scamander
- XXVII. Cold spring of the Scamander
- 28. Bounarbashi
- XXIX. Bounarbashi
- XXX. View from the Aga's house
- XXXI. View towards the Hellespont from Bounarbashi
- XXXII. View S. from the Aga's house at Bounarbashi
- XXXIII. View N.E. from the hill of Bounarbashi
- XXXV. View of the Tumuli on the Hill of Bounarbashi
- XXXVI. View from the Acropolis
- XXXVII. Foundations on the summit of the hill of Bounarbashi
- XXXVIII. View W. from the Pergama
- XLI. View of the hill of Bounarbashi from the vale of the Simois
- XLIV. [Map of Ilium or Troy]
- XLV. Map of the plain of Troy.