Gerbier, Balthazar, Sir, 1592?-1667, Counsel and advise to all builders , 1663
- Counsel and advise to all builders : for the choice of their surveyours, clarks of their works, bricklayers, masons, carpenters, and other work-men therein concerned : as also in respect of their works, materials, and rates thereof : together with several epistles to eminent persons who may be concerned in building / written by Sir Balthazar Gerbier ...
- Alternate Title(s):
- Counsel and advice to all builders.
- London : Printed by Thomas Mabb, dwelling on St. Pauls-wharf ... 1663.
- Physical Description:
- , 110 p. ; 15 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTH144 G47 1663 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsTH144 G47 1663 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Fowler 137
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 1556-1785. Cambridge [England] : Cambridge University Press, 1994,c1990. 252, 253.
Contains 39 epistles.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is a first edition, first issue. It was first issued without the additional epistle and the "List of the Epistles." Copy 1 has the bookplate of the Earl of Ilchester. Copy 2 appears to be a second issue of the first edition, published in 1663. The order of the plates was changed and an additional epistle [40 epistles] (to Sir Peter Killigrew) was added as was a "List of the epistles": 54th-55th preliminary leaves.
One of the earliest descriptions of building materials and their prices published in Great Britain. Cf. Harris.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Building -- Early works to 1800.Building materials -- Prices -- Early works to 1800.Ilchester, Earl of -- Bookplate.Mabb, Thomas, d 1665 -- Printer.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.