Gerning, J. I. (Johann Isaac), 1767-1837, A picturesque tour along the Rhine from Mentz to Cologne , MDCCCXX 
- A picturesque tour along the Rhine from Mentz to Cologne : with illustrations of the scenes of remarkable events and of popular traditions / by Baron J.J. von Gerning ; embellished with twenty-four highly finished and coloured engravings from the drawings of M. Schuetz ; and accompanied by a map ; translated from the German by John Black.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Picturesque tour along the Rhine from Metz to Cologne
Rheingegenden von Mainz bis Cölln. English
- London : Published by R. Ackermann, 101 Strand; and sold by the principal booksellers in the United Kingdom, MDCCCXX .
[London] : Printed by L. Harrison, 373 Strand
- Physical Description:
- xiv, , 178 pages,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : color illustrations, map ; 43 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsT 217 (Folio A)Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsT 217A (Folio A)Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Translation of: Die Rheingegenden von Mainz bis Cölln.
Aquatints by Daniel Havell and Thomas Sutherland.
Map engraved by W. Bartlett, after C.F. Ulrich.
Date of publication appears after the printer's statement.
"Originally published in six monthly parts at 14s. each ordinary, and £1. 1s. each large paper; finally in volume form at £4. 4s. each on ordinary (Elephant) paper and probably £6. 6s. each on large (Atlas) paper, as above."--Abbey.
"There are some definitely later issues of the book, however, and these can be recognized by having plate numbers at the top right-hand corner. The impressions in these issues are poor and the colouring less good."--Abbey.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 217
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, pages 337, 375
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 234
Includes bibliographical references.
"List of subscribers"--pages [v]-viii.
BAC: British Art Center T217 copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary mottled calf, gilt.
- Wiesbaden -- The springs and baths of Wiesbaden -- Interesting objects in Wiesbaden and its environs -- The medical palace -- Sonnenberg -- The Table-land -- Biebrich -- Schierstein -- Schlangenbad -- Environs of Schlangenbad -- Schwalbach -- The country round Schwalbach -- Weilbach -- Mentz -- Objects in Mentz deserving of note -- The passage down the Rhine to Rüdesheim -- The Rheingau -- The Johannesberg -- Nieder-Ingelheim -- Rüdesheim -- The Niederwald -- Bingen -- The passage down the Rhine to Coblentz -- The burgs on the Rhine between Bingen and Coblentz ; Klopp -- Ehrenfels -- Vautsberg -- Reichenstein -- Faulkenburg -- Soneck, or Saneck -- Heimburg -- Fuersteneck and Nollingen -- Kammerberg -- Rheinberg -- Fuerstenberg -- Sareck -- Sauerburg, or Surburg -- Heppenheft -- Staleck -- Stalberg -- Gutenfels -- Schoenberg -- Rieneck, or Rheineck -- New Katzenelnbogen, or the Katze -- Rheinfels, or Rinfels -- Thurmberg, or the Mouse -- Reichenberg -- Liebenstein and Sterrenberg, or the Brothers -- Liebeneck -- Marxburg -- Philippsburg -- Rheinberg -- Stolzenfels -- Lahneck -- General observations -- Coblentz -- Neuwied -- The places where Julius Caesar crossed the Rhine -- Passage down the Rhine to Bonn -- Cologne -- Old paintings in Cologne -- Remarkable objects of Cologne -- Appendix: Account of Embs and its environs -- Appendix: The burg of Nassau -- Appendix: Explanation of the map. and Plates: Mentz, from the influx of the Maine into the Rhine -- Biebrich, the summer residence of the Duke of Nassau -- The Johannesberg -- The Town of Bingen -- The Mice-Tower -- The Castle of Fürstenberg -- Bacharach -- Pfalz Castle and town of Kaub -- The town of Oberwesel -- Thurmberg -- Liebenstein -- Braubach -- The Church of Johannes, at the influx of the Lahn -- St. Goarshausen, St. Goar, and Rheinfels -- Salmon-fishery at Lurley -- Bornhofen -- Boppard -- Coblentz and the Fortress of Ehrenbreistein -- Andernach and Neuwied -- Engers and Sayn -- Hammerstein -- Drachenfels and Rolandseck -- Godesberg and the Seven Hills -- Cologne -- Map of the course of the Rhine from Mentz to Cologne.
- Subject Terms:
- Germany -- Description and travel.Rhine River -- Description and travel.Rhine River Valley -- Description and travel.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1820.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.