Views at Bombay / taken & drawn on stone by J.M. Gonsalv[es].
- [Mumbai?] : [publisher not identified] , [1833?]
- Physical Description:
- 6 leaves : illustrations ; 44 x 56 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2022 64Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2022 3Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Title from publisher's lithographed wrappers. The last two letters of the author's name on the title page are obscured by the illustrated figure.
Lithographs by R. Prera, after José M. Gonsalves.
"This book was almost certainly printed in India, probably in Bombay [i.e. Mumbai]."--Abbey.
Date of publication is based on the British Library Online Gallery and Scenic Splendours : India through the printed image, note 71: "The publication date of the second set of lithographs is judged to be about 1833 on the basis that the new Town Hall, which is depicted in one of the scenes, was opened that year."
"The titles and signatures are overprinted by letterpress." --Abbey.
"It is clear from the fact that there are stab holes at the left-hand side of the title-page and of the plates when opened out (i.e. at the fore-edge of every other leaf, as the book is bound above) that the work was issued as an oblong folio, approximately 16 5/8 x 21 5/8, the difference between 21 5/8 and 2 x 11 7/8 being accounted for by the plates being now mounted on guards or hinges at their centre fold. The book was presumably bound in this way to make a more convenient volume, and the method of binding allows the leaves to open completely flat."--Abbey.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 457
BAC Folio A 2022 64: The Abbey copy. Bound in roan, lettered in gilt on front cover: Views at Bombay, Gonsalves. Bookplate: Andrew Fairbairn.
BAC Folio B 2022 3: Leaves are loose, in original illustrated unwrappers.
- Subject Terms:
- Fairbairn, Andrew, -- Bookplate.India -- Mumbai.Mumbai (India) -- Pictorial works.
- Pictorial works.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored.
- IIIF Manifest:
- View of Bombay, from Mazagon Hill
- Government House, Parell
- Town Hall, Bombay
- The new mint, Bombay
- Saint Thomas's Church, Bombay
- View from Apollo Gate, Bombay.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.