Mayhew, Augustus, 1826-1875, "The greatest plague of life", or, The adventures of a lady in search of a good servant , 
- "The greatest plague of life", or, The adventures of a lady in search of a good servant / by one who has been "almost worried to death" ; illustrated by George Cruikshank.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Greatest plague of life
Adventures of a lady in search of a good servant
- London : David Bogue, 86 Fleet Street, .
- Physical Description:
-  parts : ill. ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR4989.M47 G74 1847 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR4989.M47 G74 1847 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Gloria ScheuerAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Part six contains the title-page for the bound volume. It indicates the work was "edited by the Brothers Mayhew."
Etchings by George Cruikshank. Glypography by him on the title and the wrapper of the parts.
Parts 4-6 have added beneath the publisher the following: T.C. Savill, Printer,][4, Chandos Street.
Date of publication from Cohn.
Issued in 6 paarts over 6 months, 1st February to 1st July, 1847.
"Price 1s" on upper wrapper.
Each part contains a varying number of pages of advertising material.
Cohn, A.M. Cruikshank, 527
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 in original parts, in original yellow paper wrappers, with publishers advertisements. Copy 2 bound in gilt-tooled calf, without publisher's advertisements. Binder's stamp: Bound by Root & Son.
- Subject Terms:
- Bogue, D. -- Publisher.Household employees -- Great Britain -- Fiction.Root & Son -- Bookbinder.Savill, T. C. -- Printer.Scheuer, Gloria -- Provenance.
- Etchings -- 1847.
Glyphographs -- 1847.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.