Nekrokēdeia, or, The art of embalming : wherein is shown the right of burial, the funeral ceremonies, and the several ways of preserving dead bodies in most nations of the world. With an account of the particular opinions, experiments and inventions of modern physicians, surgeons, chymists and anatomists. Also some new matter propos'd concerning a better method of embalming than hath hitherto been discover'd. And a pharmacopœia Galeno-Chymica, Anatomia sicca sive incruenta, &. In three parts. The whole work adorn'd with variety of sculptures / by Thomas Greenhill, Surgeon.
- Additional Title(s):
Art of embalming
Greenhill's art of embalming
- London : Printed for the author, 
- Physical Description:
- , viii, v, , 367,  p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill., map ; 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsRA623 .G74 1705Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Spine title: Greenhill's art of embalming.
The first word of the title is transliterated from the Greek.
Engravings by Joseph Nutting, John Sturt, Michael van der Gucht, Johannes Kip, and Thomas Platt; after Pierre Berchet. Map engraved by John Harris.
Part 1 has a separate titlepage dated 1705.
Both title pages within a letterpress rule border.
English short title catalogue, T68902
The unnumbered leaf before the titlepage is an explanation of the frontispiece.
With a list of subscribers and an index.
BAC: Bound in a gilt- and blind-tooled panelled calf-binding. Partially rebacked. Bookplate: Earl of Stradbroke.
- Subject Terms:
- Burial -- Early works to 1800.Death -- Early works to 1800.Embalming -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1705.Funeral rites and ceremonies -- Early works to 1800.Greenhill, Thomas, 1681-1740? -- Publisher.Mummies -- Early works to 1800.Stradbroke, Earl of -- Bookplate.
YCBA Collections Search
Greenhill, Thomas, 1681-1740?, Nekrokēdeia, or, The art of embalming , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.