Grose, Francis, 1731?-1791, The antiquities of Ireland, 1791-1795
The antiquities of Ireland.
- London : Printed for S. Hooper, 1791-1795.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA920 .G76 1791+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Edited and for the most part written by Edward Ledwich.
Engravings by Barrett, John Eastgate, Thomas Haynes, Thomas Medland, James Newton, I.R., James Sparrow, Samuel Sparrow, W. Thomas, E.W. Thompson, Thomas Vivarès, and George Walker; after John James Barralet, William H. Beauford, Vittorio Bigari, James Gandon, Samuel Hieronymus Grimm, Daniel Grose, Francis Grose, and James George O'Brien.
The preface is dated Jan. 1, 1794.
Not a reissue of the 1791-94 edition, but an almost line for line resetting.
The titlepages are engraved and that to vol.2 is dated 1795 and bears the imprint: Printed for M. Hooper.
ESTC (RLIN), T147223
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, p. 742
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-stamped red calf. Armorial binding: Sir Simon R.B. Taylor. Bookplate: Sir Simon R.B. Taylor.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 1791-1795.Hooper, M. -- Publisher.Hooper, S. -- Publisher.Ireland -- Antiquities -- Early works to 1800.Ireland -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Ireland -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Taylor, Simon R. B., Sir -- Binding.
- Armorial bindings (Provenance)
Armorial bindings (Binding)
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.