Military antiquities respecting a history of the English army : from the conquest to the present time / by Francis Grose Esq. F. A. S.
- Additional Title(s):
History of the English army
- A new edition with material additions & improvements.
- London : Printed for T. Egerton, Whitehall; & G. Kearsley, Fleet Street, 1801.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 33 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsUA649 G76 1801+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Running title: History of the English army.
Plates show English arms, armor, and military dress before the introduction of uniforms. Cf. Hiler.
Engravings by N.C. Goodnight, James Newton, S. Sparrow, James Sparrow, John Hamilton, and John Record.
Printed by T. Davison, Lombard Street, Whitefriars.
Originally issued in 1786.
Lipperheidesche Kostümbibliothek (2. Aufl.) Qh4
Colas, R. Costume, 1339
Hiler, H. Bibliography of costume, p. 399
"A treatise on ancient armour and weapons, illustrated by plates taken from the original armour in the Tower of London, and other arsenals, museums, and cabinets. By Francis Grose, Esqr., F.A.S."--V. 2, p. , -363, , with engraved sectional title.
"Supplement to a treatise on antient armour, being illustrations of antient and Asiatick armour and weapons. By the same author."--V. 2, p. -372, with 61 plates and sectional title.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-stamped red morocco. Armorial binding and armorial bookplate of Sir Simon R. B. Taylor., Bart.
- Subject Terms:
- Armor -- Great Britain.Clothing and dress -- Great Britain.Davison, T. -- Printer.Egerton, T. -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1801.Great Britain. Army -- History.Kearsley, G. -- Publisher.Military art and science -- Great Britain.Military uniforms -- Great Britain.Taylor, Simon R.B., Sir -- Binding.Weapons -- Great Britain.
- Armorial bindings (Provenance)
Armorial bindings (Binding)
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Grose, Francis, 1731?-1791, Military antiquities respecting a history of the English army , 1801
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.