The art of sound building, demonstrated in geometrical problems : shewing geometrical lines for all kinds of arches, niches, groins, and twisted rails, both regular and irregular : with several other draughts of buildings and staircases : all curiously engraven on copper plates : wherein are laid down (suited to every Capacity) easy practical methods for carpenters, joiners, masons, or bricklayers, to work by / by William Halfpenny, architect and carpenter.
- London : Printed by Sam. Aris for the Author, in Exeter-Change in the Strand: Benjamin Cole engraver, in London-House-Yard, St. Paul's Church-Yard; Tho. Taylor printseller, at the Golden Lion in Fleet-Street; Bowen Whitledge bookseller, at the Red Bible in Ave-Mary-Lane; Tho. Bowles printseller, next the Chapter-House in St. Paul's Church-Yard; Tho. Wright mathematical instrument-maker at the Orrery and Globe in Fleet-Street; John Senex, over-against St. Dunstan's Church in Fleet-Street; Francis Fayram, at the Royal Exchange in Cornhill; Tho. Worrall, over-against St. Dunstan's Church in Fleet-Street; and John Walthoe at Richmond, MDCCXXV 
- Physical Description:
- , 56,  p., 19,  folded leaf of plates : ill. ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA2515 .H35 1725+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "This is the first issue of Halfpenny's important work; a second issue with additional plates and tables for the five orders was published in the same year"--Cf. British Architectural Library.
P. - of preliminary run consist of a two-leaf-engraved list of subscribers, printed on recto only.
Engraved, full-page allegorical frontispiece by Benjamin Cole.
Errata: p. .
Publisher's advertisments: p. .
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), v. 96, 96
National union catalog, pre-1956 imprints, v. 227, p. 74
English short title catalogue, T78315
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 1435
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 1556-1785. Cambridge, 1990 : Cambridge University Press, 281
BAC: British Art Center bound in panelled calf. Frontispiece wanting. Plate 15 repeated twice.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Details -- Early works to 1800.Architecture, Domestic -- Handbooks, manuals, etc. -- Early works to 1800.Aris, Samuel, d.1775, -- Printer.Bowles, Tho., -- Publisher.Building -- Early works to 1800.Cole, Benjamin, -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1725.Fayram, Francis, -- Publisher.Halfpenny, William, d. 1755, -- Publisher.House construction -- Handbooks, manuals, etc. -- Early works to 1800.Senex, John, -- Publisher.Thomas, Tho., -- Publisher.Walthoe, John, -- Publisher.Whitledge, Bowen, -- Publisher.Worrall, Thom., -- Publisher.Wright, Tho., -- Publisher.
YCBA Collections Search
Halfpenny, William, d. 1755, The art of sound building, demonstrated in geometrical problems , MDCCXXV 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.