Halfpenny, William, -1755, New designs for Chinese temples, triumphal arches, garden seats, palings &c. ... , 1750-1752
New designs for Chinese temples, triumphal arches, garden seats, palings &c. ... / by William Halfpenny.
- London : Printed for and sold by Robt. Sayer, 1750-1752.
- Physical Description:
- 4 pts. in 1 : ill. ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA8450 H17 1750Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- T.-p. for pt. 1, with imprint: London : Printed for R. Sayer ... and J. Brindley, omits designation "Part 1".
T.-p. for pt. 1 engraved.
Special t.-p. for each part; imprints vary slightly.
Pt. 2-4 by William and John Halfpenny.
Second and third editions issued under title: Rural architecture in the Chinese taste.
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 1556-1785. Cambridge [England] : Cambridge University Press, 1994, c1990. 300
Illustrations by Parr and B[enjamin] Cole; after William Halfpenny.
Later edition published under title: Rural architecture in the Chinese taste.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Details -- Early works to 1800.Architecture, Chinese -- Early works to 1800.Architecture, Domestic -- Designs and plans -- Early works to 1800.Sayer, Robert -- Publisher.
- Engravings -- 1750.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1750.
- Pt.I. New designs for Chinese temple, triumphal arches, garden seats, palings, &c.
- pt. II. New designs for Chinese bridges, temples triumphal arches, garden seats, palings, obelisks, termini's &c.
- pt. III. New designs for Chinese doors, windows, piers, pilasters, garden seats, green- houses, summer-houses, &c.
- pt. IV. New designs for Chinese gates, palisades, stair-cases, chimney-pieces, ceilings, garden-seats, chairs, temples, &c.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.