Essay on the origin and principles of gothic architecture / by Sir James Hall, Bart., F. R. & A. S.S. Edin. ; from the Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh ; (read April 6, 1797).
- Additional Title(s):
Origin and principles of gothic architecture
- [Edinburgh : The Royal Society, 1798?]
- Physical Description:
- 27,  p., vi leaves of plates : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA445 .H355 1798+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- There are six engraved plates numbered I-VI top center, showing Gothic forms constructed out of branches and poles.
Engravings by John Beugo; after Sir James Hall.
This essay was originally read to the Royal Society of Edinburgh on 6 April 1797, and was printed first in their Transactions (IV:2, 1798, pp. 3-27). An enlarged version of the essay was published in 1813.
ESTC suggests 1797 as the publication date, however, vol. 4 of the Philosophical transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh was published in 1798.
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1454
BAC: British Art Center copy inscribed: Lady Halkett with Sir J. Hall's most respectful compliments.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Gothic -- Early works to 1800.Architecture, Gothic -- England.Engraving -- Specimens -- [1798?]Halkett, Lady -- Inscription from Sir James Hall.Hall, James, Sir -- Inscription to Lady Halkett.Royal Society of Edinburgh -- Publisher.
YCBA Collections Search
Hall, James, Sir, 1761-1832, Essay on the origin and principles of gothic architecture , 1798?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.