Hamilton, Anthony, Count, approximately 1646-1720, Memoirs of Count Grammont , MDCCXCIV 
Memoirs of Count Grammont / by Count A. Hamilton.
- Additional Title(s):
Mémoires du comte de Grammont
Mémoires de la vie du comte de Grammont
- London : Printed by Millar Ritchie, MDCCXCIV 
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations ; 34 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA447.A3 H36 1794+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "Only five copies of this size were printed, and are in the possession of His Grace the Duke of St. Albans (two copies), Richard Mullman Trench Chiswell, Esq., Richard Bull, Esq., and Mr. Harding."--English language title page, above imprint. The Huntington Library records a copy with height of 51 cm.
The text is in French. Presumably, it is that printed by Edwards in 1793 (see ESTC T128041), but with the title page to volume 1 cancelled and replaced with a version in English, noting Ritchie as printer. Volume 2 still bears the title page (in French): Mémoires du comte de Grammont / par le C. Antoine Hamilton. Edition ornée de LXXII portraits, gravés d'apres les tableaux originaux. A Londres : Chez Edwards, no. 78, Pall Mall.
English short title catalogue, N498265
BAC: British Art Center copy cut down (compare Huntington copy, at 51 cm). Bound in gilt-tooled tan morocco; with gilt edges, lemon-yellow watered silk endpapers, and inner dentelle gilt borders, by L. Staggemeier. Armorial bookplate of Richard Mullman Trench Chiswell. Extra-illustrated by the insertion of 99 portraits, in water-colors, by Sylvester Harding. Thirty-nine of these are in gray wash; the rest are colored. All are signed by Harding and include captions noting the location of the original painting from which Harding's copy is made.
- Subject Terms:
- Chiswell, Richard Mullman Trench -- Provenance.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1794.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1794.Gramont, Philibert, comte de, 1621-1707.Great Britain -- Court and courtiers.Great Britain -- History -- Charles II, 1660-1685.Nobility -- France -- Portraits.Nobility -- Great Britain -- Portraits.Staggemeier, L. -- Binder
- Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.