Memoirs of Count Grammont / by Anthony Hamilton ; to which are prefixed, a biographical sketch of Count Hamilton, and a translation of the epistle to Count Grammont ; illustrated with sixty-four portraits, engraved by Edward Scriven, &c.
- A new edition.
- London : Printed for James Carpenter, Old Bond Street, and William Miller, Albermarle Street, 1811.
Edinburgh : Printed by J. Ballantyne & Co., 
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : portraits ; 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA447.A3 H36 1811+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Translated by Abel Boyer. Revised and edited by Sir Walter Scott.
Engravings by Edward Scriven and William Haines; after Philippe de Champaigne, Robert Nantuel, Sir Anthony Van Dyck, Pierre Mignard, Hyacinthe Rigaud, Simon Luttichuys, Sir Peter Lely, Kaspar Netscher, Antoine Augustin Parmentier, Jacob van Oost, Harmenszoon van Rijn Rembrandt, John Riley, Abraham van Diepenbeke, Samuel Cooper, Sir Godfrey Kneller, Willem Wissing, and David Loggan.
Volume 1: ix, , xxxvii, , 262 pages,  leaves of plates; volume 2: , 356 pages,  leaves of plates.
"Notes and [explanation of] illustrations."--Volume 1, pages 213-262; volume 2, pages 307-351.
"Index of names."--Volume 2, pages 353-356.
BAC: British Art Center copy is bound in contemporary calf. Uncolored plates. Larger paper edition than Abbey Life 425. Bookplate: James Frothingham Hunnewell. Armorial bookplate: Agatha Beatrix Goodrich Shedden. This copy contains "A bibliographical sketch of Anthony Hammond" and "Epistle to the Count de Grammont", lacking in the Abbey copy.
- Subject Terms:
- Gramont, Philibert, comte de, 1621-1707.Great Britain -- Court and courtiers.Great Britain -- History -- Charles II, 1660-1685.Hunnewell, James Frothingham -- Bookplate.Nobility -- France -- Portraits.Nobility -- Great Britain -- Portraits.Shedden, Agatha Beatrix Goodrich -- Bookplate.
- Stipple engravings -- 1811.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Hamilton, Anthony, Count, approximately 1646-1720, Memoirs of Count Grammont , 1811
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.