The guide and companion to the "Lessons on art" / by J. D. Harding ; author of "The principles and practice of art;" "Elementary art, or The use of the chalk and lead pencil advocated and explained;" "Lessons on art;" "Lessons on trees;" &c. &c.
- Additional Title(s):
Guide and companion
- London: : Day and Son, lithographers to the Queen, 17 Gate Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields; : David Bogue, 86 Fleet Street; : Messrs. Winsor and Newton, artists' colourmen, 38 Rathbone Place; and all printsellers, booksellers, and artists' colourmen in the kingdom, .
- Physical Description:
- vi, 178 p.,14 leaves of plates : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC710 .H36 1854+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- This work was published to serve as a guide to "Lessons on Art", but meant more for teachers, to enable them to appreciate the scope and purporse of the system, and to examine their pupils as to the intent of every line and touch of the pencil. This book is confined to pencil drawing, being in fact an amplification of his "Elementary Art".
Date of publication from British Museum.
Wood-engraved illustrations and diagrams within text throughout.
Printed by G. Barclay, Castle St. Leicester Sq.
Spine title: Guide and companion.
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), v. 11, 733
BAC: Bound in blind- stamped maroon publisher's binding. Gilt stamp depicting an illustration of open book on front cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Aesthetics.Art -- Study and teaching.Barclay, George, -- Printer.Bogue, David, -- Publisher.Day & Son, -- Publisher.Drawing -- Study and teaching.Drawing -- Technique.Drawing books -- Specimens.Lesson planning.Lithography -- Specimens -- .Perspective.Winsor & Newton, -- Publisher.
YCBA Collections Search
Harding, James Duffield, 1798-1863, The guide and companion to the "Lessons on art" , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.