An account of travels into the interior of Southern Africa in the years 1797 and 1798 : including cursory observations on the geology and geography of the southern part of that continent : the natural history of such objects as occured inthe animal, vegetable and mineral kingdons : and sketches of the physical and moral characters of the various tribes of inhabitants surrounding the settlement of the Cape of Good Hope : to which is annexed a description of the present state, population, and produces of that extensive colony : with a map constructed entirely from actual observations made in the course of the travels / By John Barrow ...
- London : Printed by A. Strahan for T. Cadell Jun. and W. Davies, 1801-1804.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDT755 B27 1801+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC: This copy is the Abbey copy.
Vol. 2 has title: An account of travels into the interior of Southern Africa : in which is considered the importance of the Cape of Good Hope to the different European powers, as a naval and military station, as a point of security to our Indian trade and settlements during a war, and as a territorial acquisition and commercial emporium in time of peace, with a statistical sketch of the whole colony ...
Illustrations by John Bluck.
Abbey, J.R. Travel 320
Mendelssohn, S. South African bib., I, p. 87
Lib. Company. Afro-Americana, 924
- Subject Terms:
- Cadell, T. and Davies (W.) -- Publisher.Cape of Good Hope (South Africa) -- Description and travel.South Africa -- Description and travel.South Africa -- History -- To 1836.Strahan, A. -- Printer.
- Aquatints -- 1801-1804.
YCBA Collections Search
Barrow, John, Sir, 1764-1848, An account of travels into the interior of Southern Africa in the years 1797 and 1798 , 1801-1804
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.