The mountains and lakes of Switzerland, the Tyrol, and Italy / from drawings made during a tour through those countries by George E. Hering ; with descriptive letterpress.
- London : M.A. Nattali, 23, Bedford Street, Covent Garden, 1847.
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : col. ill. ; 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsD919 .H47 1847+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Added lithographed title page: The mountains and the lakes. Sketches in Switzerland, the Tyrol and Italy by George E. Hering. Published by Messrs Ackermann & Co. 96 Strand and Mr. G.E. Hering, 4, Southampton St. Fitzroy Square.
Ackermann published the plates, without text, in 1845. In 1847 Nattali, who was a remainder publisher, took over sets of the plates, added a text and re-published the work as above. Cf. Abbey.
Added lithographed title page and dedication included in the collation of plates.
Lithography after George Edwards Hering.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 260
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 63
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contempoary half maroon roan, with marbled boards. Inscribed: Bessie Chute.
- Subject Terms:
- Chute, Bessie -- Autograph.Europe -- Description and travel.Italy -- Description and travel.Nattali, M. A. -- Publisher.Switzerland -- Description and travel.Tyrol (Austria) -- Description and travel.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1847.
- Pass Gerlos, Tyrol (frontispiece)
- Madonna above the Lake Orta (dedication)
- Konig See, Bavarioan Tyrol
- Fügen, Ziller Thal, Tyrol
- The River Salza, near Pass Lueg, Tyrol
- Convent, near Schwatz, Tyrol
- Lake of Hallstadt, Tyrol
- From the cemetery at Thun
- The Castle of Monspunnen, and the Jungfrau, near Interlachen
- Chillon, Lake of Geneva
- Sion, Canton Vallais
- Near Viesch, in the Ober Vallais
- Pass of the Grimsel
- Locarno, Lago Maggiore
- Isola de San Guilio, Lago d'Orta
- Gandria, Lago de Lugano
- Nesso, Lago di Como
- Bellagio, Lago di Como
- Lago de Garda.