Duncan, John Shute, 1769-1844, Hints to the bearers of walking-sticks and umbrellas , 1809
Hints to the bearers of walking-sticks and umbrellas : illustrated by six engravings.
- Third edition, corrected and enlarged.
- London : Printed for J. Murray, Fleet-Street; J. Harding, St. James's-Street; and Brown & Crombie, Edinburgh, 1809.
- Physical Description:
- 32 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT2220 .D86 1809Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Signed, p. 32: Solomon Upright. Attributed to John Shute Duncan. Cf. Halkett & Laing.
With etched plates and wood engravings within text.
Printed by C. Squire, Printer, Furnival's-Inn-Court.
Halkett, S. Dictionary of anonymous and pseudonymous English literature (1926-62 edition), v. 3, p. 42
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in marbled boards. Original brown paper front wrapper bound in. Engraved vignette on front wrapper. Inscribed: From the author to the Misses Greene. May 11th 1811.
- Subject Terms:
- Duncan, John Shute, 1769-1844 -- Pres. insc. to the Misses Greene, May 11th, 1811.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Greene, Misses -- Pres. insc. from John Shute Duncan, May 11th, 1811.Murray, J. -- Publisher.Parasols.Squire, C. -- Printer.Staffs (Sticks, canes, etc.)Umbrellas.
- Etchings -- 1809.
Wood engravings -- 1809.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.