Cooke, John, 1738-1823, An historical account of the Royal Hospital for Seamen at Greenwich , 
An historical account of the Royal Hospital for Seamen at Greenwich : MDCCLXXXIX.
- London : Sold for the authors by G. Nicol, Pall-Mall; T. Cadell, Strand; J. Walter, Charing-Cross; G.G.J. and J. Robinson, Pater-Noster-Row; and at the Chapel of the Hospital, 
- Physical Description:
- viii, 120, 125-132, *129-*132, 133-142,  p.,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsVB295.G7 C66 1789+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The authors' dedication signed: John Cooke, A.M. John Maule, A.M. Chaplains.
Engravings by James Newton. Plates [2-3] probably drawn by William Newton (Cf. British Architectural Library). Frontispiece signed: Thos. Lancey, Greenwich delt. et script.
The final leaf announces: "The perspective view [i.e. frontispiece] .. will be delivered .. as soon as finished".
Wellcome cat. of printed books, II, p. 386
NLM 18th cent., p. 98
ESTC (RLIN), T88923
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 3807
With errata slips pasted to pp. 107 and 142. Cf. ESTC.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-stamped dark blue leather binding. Gilt edges. Bookplates: 1. Royal United Service Institution - 2. Armorial bookplate: WH (William Duke of Clarence) - 3. This book was presented to the Royal United Service Institution by General Fox - 4. Richard Blackett Beaumont. Inscribed on t.p.: William Henry Duke of Clarence Captain in the Royal Navy 1786 April 10 Commander of the ship HM Valiant May 10 1790.
- Subject Terms:
- Beaumont, Richard Blackett -- BookplateEngraving -- Specimens -- Fox, General -- Pres. insc. to the Royal United Service InstitutionMilitary hospitals -- History -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Royal Hospital for Seamen at Greenwich -- History -- Early works to 1800.Royal United Service Institution -- Bookplate.Royal United Service Institution -- Pres. insc. from General FoxWilliam IV, King of Great Britain, 1765-1837 -- Bookplate.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.