The history and antiquities, ancient and modern, of the borough of Reading : in the county of Berks / by John Man.
- Reading : Printed by Snare and Man; sold by Nichols, Son, and Bentley, Red Lion Passage, Fleet Street; J. Richardson, Royal Exchange, London; and R. Snare, Minster Street, Reading, 1816.
- Physical Description:
- , iii, , 430, , xxxvi p., 21 leaves of plates (1 folded) : ill., map, port, facsim. ; 36 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.R28 M36 1816+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title page printed in red and black.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Errata slip inserted.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 293
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in half blue calf. Autograph: Geo. Tyrrell 1853.
- Subject Terms:
- Church architecture -- England -- Reading.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1816.Reading (England) -- Antiquities.Reading (England) -- History.Snare and Man -- Printer.Tyrrell, Geo. -- Autograph, 1853.
- Aquatints -- 1816.
- Contents of plates: Plan of the borough of Reading 1813
- Siege of Reading by the Earl of Essex
- Archbishop Laud, from the original in the Council Chamber. His House in Broad Street
- Reading Tokens issued by I.B. Monck, Esq.
- Speed's map of Reading 1610
- East view of High Bridge
- John Kendrick
- Copy of Mr. Rennie's plan of the proposed canal
- To the Worshipful the Mayor, Aldermen & Burgesses of the Borough of Reading this plate of the corporation arms is humbly inscribed by the author
- South view of the supposed ruins of the castle
- Fragments of various ornamental parts of the Abbey
- Sir Thomas Rich Bart. His monument in Sonning Church, Berks.
- South view of the Abbey Gate
- Ground plan of the Abbey and Church
- Plan of the Forbury, at the dissolution
- Interior view of the Friary, now the Town Bridewell
- Johannes Blagravvs
- Fac-simile of the Charter of Reading 1345
- West view of Caversham Bridge
- Sir Thomas White, Aldermanus Civitatus London
- Richard Aldworth.