The dances of death , MDCCLXXXVIII 
- The dances of death : through the various stages of human life : wherein the capriciousness of that tyrant is exhibited in forty-six copperplates, done from the original designs which were cut in wood, afterwards painted by John Holbein, in the town-house at Basil : to which is prefixed, descriptions of each plate in French and English, with the Scripture text from which the designs were taken.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Triomphe de la mort, gravé d'aprés les dessins originaux de Jean Holbein
Dance of death. 1788.
- Edinburgh : [s.n.], MDCCLXXXVIII 
- Physical Description:
- , 46 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7720.H6 B66 1788Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- With an added engraved title page: Le triomphe de la mort, gravé d'aprés les dessins originaux de Jean Holbein, par David Deuchar, 1786.
Engravings by David Deuchar.
Edited by James Bonar. Cf. British Library.
The descriptions of the plates are by Mechel. Cf. The dance of death, with a dissertation ... by Francis Douce, 1833, p. 136.
ESTC (RLIN), T191091
BM (compact ed.), v.6, 170
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt-tooled tree calf. Inscribed at foot of title page and on frontispiece: David Deuchar.
- Subject Terms:
- Dance of death -- Early works to 1800.Deuchar, David, 1743-1808 -- Provenance.
- Engravings -- 1788.
Tree calf bindings (Binding)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.