The dances of death : through the various stages of human life : wherein the capriciousness of that tyrant is exhibited in forty-six copperplates, done from the original designs which were cut in wood, afterwards painted by John Holbein, in the town-house at Basil : to which is prefixed, descriptions of each plate in French and English, with the Scripture text from which the designs were taken.
- Additional Title(s):
Triomphe de la mort, gravé d'aprés les dessins originaux de Jean Holbein
Dance of death. 1788.
- Edinburgh : [s.n.], MDCCLXXXVIII 
- Physical Description:
- , 46 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7720.H6 B66 1788Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- With an added engraved title page: Le triomphe de la mort, gravé d'aprés les dessins originaux de Jean Holbein, par David Deuchar, 1786.
Engravings by David Deuchar.
Edited by James Bonar. Cf. British Library.
The descriptions of the plates are by Mechel. Cf. The dance of death, with a dissertation ... by Francis Douce, 1833, p. 136.
English short title catalogue, T191091
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), v.6, 170
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt-tooled tree calf. Inscribed at foot of title page and on frontispiece: David Deuchar.
- Subject Terms:
- Dance of death -- Early works to 1800.Deuchar, David, 1743-1808 -- Provenance.
- Engravings -- 1788.
Tree calf bindings (Binding)
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.