Cooke, William Bernard, 1778-1855, Eight implemental heads in colours , 
Eight implemental heads in colours / with lines by Thomas Hood.
- London : Published July 1, 1834, by W .B. Cooke, 
- Physical Description:
- 8 prints : engraving, hand-colored ; sheet 27 x 18 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR4797 .E34 1834+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Imprint from plates.
The British Art Center copy has housed with it an undated autograph letter, signed, from Thomas Hood to an unidentified recipient (presumably W.B. Cooke), in which Hood provides verse for four of the prints (cooper, barber, chymist, and geometrician). Hood notes: "The rest you shall have when I am a little restive." Also housed with four of the same plates (grocer, chymist, cooper, and geometrician) with varying imprint: London, Published June 1, 1829, by W.B. Cooke, 9, Soho Square. These samples from the earlier edition may have been sent from Cooke to colorists as instruction for the 1834 edition of the plates.
The prints are issued in printed portfolio (1 folded sheet) bearing the collective title. The front cover also includes publisher's advertisements.
"Price 7s. the set of eight plates; or separately 1s each."--Head of cover title.
BAC: British Art Center copy laid in original printed wrappers.
- Subject Terms:
- Cooke, W.B. -- ALS from Thomas Hood.Cooke, W.B. -- Publisher.Hood, Thomas -- ALS to W.B.Cooke.Satire, English.
- Satires (Visual works) -- England -- 1834.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1834.
- The artist
- The blacksmith
- The dairy maid
- The grocer
- The chymist
- The geometrician
- The barber
- The cooper.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.