Fourteen lithographic views of Knaresborough, in Yorkshire / sketched from nature and drawn on stone by Samuel Howell, with illustrative sketches in prose and verse by J. Doran, Esq.
- London : Ackermann ; Knaresborough : G. Wilson, [1837?]
- Physical Description:
-  pages, 14 leaves of plates : illustrations ; 34 x 51 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2019 28Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The lithographs are signed by Howell within the image area, and dated variously 1836 or 1837.
The lithographs are printed on india paper and mounted to leaves of the volume, with interleaving. Printed by Day & Haghe.
"Dedicated to the subscribers."--Head of title.
"India paper, £1.8."--Front cover.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery, 181
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. In publisher's original printed wrappers, with the artist's autograph on the front cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Howell, Samuel, active 1828-1854 -- Autograph.Knaresborough (England)Knaresborough (England) -- Antiquities.Knaresborough (England) -- Buildings, structures, etc.Wilson, George -- Publisher.Yorkshire (England)
- Lithographs -- 1837.
- 1. View from Bilton Banks
- 2. View from the High Bridge
- 3. High Bridge and Bilton Hall (from the factory steps)
- 4. View of the ruins of the castle
- 5. Ruins of the castle
- 6. View of Scotton Moor, and Cunningham House
- 7. The Dropping Well (from the opposite bank)
- 8. Low Bridge and Fort Montague
- 9. Fort Montague, and Craig Top
- 10. View from the lime kilns, on the Plumpton Road
- 11. St. Robert's Chapel, and Abbey Plain
- 12. St. Robert's Cave --13. Grimbald Craig
- 14. View from the cotton mill.