Hughes, Hugh, 1790-1863, The beauties of Cambria , 1823
- The beauties of Cambria : consisting of sixty views in North and South Wales : each view accompanied by a page of letter-press / by H. Hughes.
- [London] : Printed for the proprietor, by J. Johnson, Apollo Press, Brook Street, Holborn, 1823.
- Physical Description:
-  p. : ill. ; 23 x 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA730 .H84 1823+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Originally published in 6 parts, 1819-1823, with cover title: The beauties of Cambria : consisting of sixty views of sublime and picturesque scenery in the twelve counties of the principality : engraved on wood from correct drawings taken on the spot. By H. Hughes.
"Fifty-eight of the drawings were taken on the spot, expressly for this work, since the beginning of 1819, by the hand that engraved the whole of the cuts: the remaining two, viz. Haverfordwest and Neath Abbey, were made previously by Mr. J. Fenton, now of Nantglyn, in Denbighshire."--Preface.
Part VI contains collective title page, dedication to Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn, preface, list of subscribers, and contents page.
BAC: British Art Center copy includes wrappers for all 6 original parts bound in at end. Bound in half tree calf and marbled boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Castles -- Wales -- Pictorial works.Cathedrals -- Wales -- Pictorial works.Church architecture -- Wales -- Pictorial works.Cron. -- 1823.Johnson, J. -- Publisher.Landscapes -- Wales.Wales -- Description and travel.Wales -- Pictorial works.
- Subscribers' lists.
Wood engravings -- 1823.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.