The art of illumination and missal painting : a guide to modern illuminators : illustrated by a series of specimens, from richly illuminated mss. of various periods, accompanied by a set of outlines, to be coloured by the student according to the theories developed in the work / by H. Noel Humphreys.
- London : H.G. Bohn, York Street, Covent Garden, 1849.
- Physical Description:
- , 64 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 18 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND3310 .H9 1849Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- At least seven of the plates were probably illustrated by C.W. Wing. Cf. Leathlean, Howard. "Henry Noel Humphreys and the Getting-up Books in the Mid-Nineteenth Century," Book Collector 38:2 (Summer 1989): 192-209.
Printed by Charles Whittingham, Chiswick.
Selected exhibitions: "Paul Mellon's Legacy: A Passion for British Art" (Yale Center for British Art, 18 April-29 July, 2007); "Victorian Bibliomania: The Illuminated Book in 19th-Century Britain" (Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design, 16 January-15 March, 1987).
McLean, R. Victorian bookbinding, p. 106.
Includes bibliographical references.
BAC: British Art Center bound in gold- and blind- stamped olive morocco, with gilt edges. Original pictorial covers preserved as doublures. The author's copy, with original watercolor copies of the manuscript illumination bound in, in place of the chromolithographs intended for the published edition. Originally attributed to Humphreys, it is more likely that they were done by C.W. Wing (cf. Leathlean). With the bookplate and inscription of Gilbert Ifold Ellis.
- Subject Terms:
- Bohn, H.G. -- Publisher.Ellis, Gilbert Ifold -- Bookplate.Humphreys, Henry Noel, 1810-1879 -- Provenance.Illumination of books and manuscripts.Whittingham, Charles -- Printer.
- Ink drawings.
Chromolithographs -- 1849.
Wood engravings -- 1849.
YCBA Collections Search
Humphreys, Henry Noel, 1810-1879, The art of illumination and missal painting , 1849