IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
James, H. G. (Henry Gould), -1842, This work, comprising a series of the most interesting views of old halls, buildings &c. in Manchester and the neighbourhood , 1825
This work, comprising a series of the most interesting views of old halls, buildings &c. in Manchester and the neighbourhood : is by permission most respectfully dedicated to Sir Oswald Mosley Bart. Lord of the Manor of Manchester / by his obliged and obedient servant H.G. James.
- Additional Title(s):
Views of old halls, buildings &c. in Manchester and the neighbourhood
- [Manchester] : Printed and published at the Lithographic Press 9 Ridge Field, Manchester, 1825.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.M4 J36 1825+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Lithographs drawn by H.G. James.
Imprint on plates: Printed at H.F.James' Lithographic Press.
"Originally published in six parts in 1821, each part containing six plates. No difference is discernible in the plates, but copies bound from the parts can be recognized by the title-page being undated. It was published as a volumed with thirty uncoloured plates on 20 May 1825, and with a list of subscribers. It was a success and was then published with thirty-six hand-coloured plates"--Cf. Abbey. The present edition contains 36 plates and lacks the list of subscribers.
Plates numbered 1-26. Plates - unnumbered.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 268
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in quarter-calf with marbled boards. Bookplate: John Walker. Weaste Hall. Lancashire.
- Subject Terms:
- Buildings -- England -- Manchester -- Pictorial works.H.F. James' Lithographic Press -- Publisher.Manchester (England) -- Pictorial works.Walker, John -- Bookplate.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.