A collection of the dresses of different nations, antient and modern : particularly old English dresses; after the designs of Holbein, Vandyke, Hollar and others, with an account of the authorities from which the figures are taken, and some short historical remarks on the subject : to which are added the habits of the principal characters on the English stage.
- Additional Title(s):
Recueil des habillements de différentes nations, anciens et modernes
- London : Published by Thomas Jefferys, geographer to his Royal Highness the Prince of Wales, in the Strand, MDCCLVII-MDCCLXXII. [1757-72]
- Physical Description:
- 4 v. : ill. ; 29 cm. (4to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT509 .C65 1757+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Added t.p. in French: Recueil des habillements de différentes nations, anciens et modernes ...
French and English on opposite pages.
Vol. 1 and 2 dated 1757; v. 3 and 4 dated 1772.
Signatures: v.1: [A]⁴ B-F⁴; v.2: [G]⁴ H-K⁴ L²; v.3: [A]⁴ B-D⁴ E²; v.4: [A]⁴ B-E⁴.
Vol. 1: xiii, , 16-47,  p. (last p. blank), 119 leaves of plates; v.2: , 56-83,  p., 120-240 leaves of plates; v.3: 35,  p. (last p. blank), 112 leaves of plates; v.4: 39,  p. (last p. blank), 121-240 leaves of plates.
Title pages printed in red and black, with engraved vignettes.
Illustrations on engraved t.p.'s by Charles Grignion; after Anthony Walker.
English short title catalogue, T88921
Kunstbibliothek (Berlin, Germany). Katalog der Lipperheideschen Kostümbibliothek (2. Aufl.), 37
Colas, R. Bibliographie générale du costume et de la mode, 2507
Errata: v.2, p.  at end.
Plate 184, v. 4, is an adaptation of Jacques Le Moyne de Morgues's A young daughter of the Picts, the original drawing of which is now in the collection of the Yale Center for British Art.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-tooled grained calf. Bookplate: Herbert Lyndon. Bookplate: De La Bibliothéque Louis Becker Paris. Autograph: Olivia Cecilia Fitz-Gerald de Roos. Ms inscription in v. 1: Herbert Lyndon from Fred. Wellesley ... Sept. 1888.
- Subject Terms:
- Becker, Louis -- Bookplate.Clothing and dress -- History -- Early works to 1800.Clothing and dress -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Costume -- History -- Early works to 1800.Costume -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Jeffreys, T., -- Publisher.Lyndon, Herbert -- Bookplate.Lyndon, Herbert -- Pres. insc. from Frederick Wellesley , Sept. 1888.Roos, Olivia Cecilia Fitz-Gerad de -- Autograph.Wellesley, Frederick -- Pres. insc. to Herbert Lyndon, Sept. 1888.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1757-1772.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
A collection of the dresses of different nations, antient and modern , MDCCLVII-MDCCLXXII. [1757-72]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.